Agriculture Seasonal Laborer
The Seasonal Ranch Laborer assists with all aspect of the Skywalker Ranch agricultural programs, with a special emphasis on the organic garden from spring to fall harvests. The ideal candidate will possess a love of nature, a hands-on enthusiasm for outdoor physical work and working knowledge of organic lifecycles and horticulture at-large. This is a 30-40hr/week, seasonal position to run from May - September. These months activities and responsibilities will include
- Assists with the tending to a 2.5 acre organic garden dedicated to serving the agriculture and culinary programs. Garden consists of vegetables, some fruits, cut flowers, and herbs.
- Perform physical work in a garden shoveling, weeding, seeding, feeding, planting, irrigating and harvesting. Daily and/or weekly reporting via word or email.
- Assists staff with care for animals, including cattle, horses, goats, chicken, bees – feeding, cleaning.
- Other tasks, research and/or projects as requested.
Education / Experience:
Must know the difference between organic versus conventional production.
- A minimum of one year prior experience is preferred not required.
- Ability to work independently under the supervision of the Gardener
- High motivation, strong work ethic and focus.
- Love of nature, working with soil, outdoors in challenging weather from cold to warm with some rain.
- Interest in food production and some floral production and nectar plants.
- Prior education or experience in irrigation techniques and sustainable crop production is a plus.
Technical Skills:internet and basic computer skills for research and reporting
Additional Skills a plus:
- pruning and chain saw, tractor principals, tillage awareness. landscaping power tools like weed whipping, hand tools etc. organic soil fertility, composting techniques, heirloom seed varieties, climate reading, timing of work, packing of produce, cleaning of produce, pest awareness